Samantha Rochard

My creative process.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Marketing your work- Facebook ads


Annoyed at seeing loads of advertisement on every Facebook page I was on, it finally dawned on me that that ad could be mine. Why the heck not! And I jumped in, sleeves rolled up to experiment with the thing called "The Facebook Ad"
I kicked myself when I saw the bill.
But this was not a bad thing.. I kicked myself because it was my own fault. Facebook allows you to set the price per click, the minimum being US$.01. Next time I shall set it for the minimum!!! *Grind*
Facebook records that my ad had over 1 million impressions (whatever the heck that meant). But they allowed me to sent my budget per day limit-which I set to US$10.00
But the results were damn well worth it. I set the ad to run over a weekend, figuring that more people would be on then. Facebook sent the ad on everyone in the Trinidad network. My website has never seen so much activity. For the three days I ran the advertisement, I was recieving about 12 comments per day, and the activity on my site registered about 300% over previous times.
I felt like a star for those few days. I would make calls for work, leave my name and hear "Samantha Rochard? The artist Samantha Rochard?" and would have to respond that it was not about art...
All in all, I do not think a newspaper ad would have generated that kind of activity. I would have never gotten a full colour advertisement for US$10.00 per day!
I most definately would use it again to promote a specific body of work, or an exhibition.. and I am extremely happy with the results.
I am tempted to set the ad to run at a New York or Canadian Network, but I would have to clear my credit card first ! :)

2 comments:

Elspeth said...

Sounds good, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by an ad. Well, I know what an 'ad' is, of course, but in the context you're talking of re FBook. Will look on your page and see?

The TriniGourmet said...

E, the ad showed up on the sidebar (righthand) on the Facebook interface. That's actually how I came across to your site Samantha, and added it to my RSS reader, so yeah, I think it paid off lol :D