Samantha Rochard

My creative process.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Crafts - Salt Dough Christmas Decorations

So this weekend, my children and I hunkered down into a family project to whip up a batch of new decorations for the Christmas Tree. Every year I try to get at least a dozen new decorations, to mark the year. This year, I decided to go "green non-consumist" and make a few, something I hadn't done in years. I had no idea that my son would take to it like a pro!

Salt Dough, will last a few years if the following precautions are taken. Make sure the object you are making isn't too fat, the dough will not bake hard. Use spray varnish on them, as wet varnish will add moisture to the oject and cause swelling over time. Add colour before, not after (paint adds moisture). Wrap them in tissue paper, and then an airtight container when storing.


SALT DOUGH RECIPE

1 cup flour
1 cup salt
3/4 cup water
food colour (powdered kind)

Mix ingredients together. Knead thouroughly. Mix food coloring into small portions of the dough and knead again.

Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes, and add colourfull trims to them. Punch a hole to the top using a straw. Use toothpicks, forks etc to add decoration.
Bake at 350 degrees till hard, but not brown on an ungreased cookie sheet. Lower oven to warm, and leave to dry out.

Spray with clear varnish back and front, and add a bit of baby ribbon to hang them on the tree. This project took us about three hours, simply because my kids got carried away, and they played until they got tired.
This recipe is more than enough for a dozen decorations, I made double the amount of dough, and had loads left over.

     

No comments: